English 9 Required Books (per nine weeks):
1st Nine Weeks: Farewell to Manzanar by Houston & Houston
2nd Nine Weeks: To Kill a Mockingbird by Lee
3rd Nine Weeks: The Good Earth by Buck
4th Nine Weeks: Nothing But the Truth by Avi
English 10, 11, 12
The first book listed for each grade is the main textbook that we will use all year. Students need to have their textbooks by the first week of school. Less expensive options for textbooks include renting or buying used copies from Amazon.com. If purchasing a used textbook, please be sure it’s the correct edition.
The other texts listed are novels that we will read for different units throughout the year. Ms. Naylor-Smith will let students know in advance the dates by which they need to have each novel.
Ms. Naylor-Smith will provide copies of any additional materials to be covered in class. Students are responsible for purchasing print copies (no e-books) of the following:
- Literature: The Human Experience, 13th edition; ISBN: 1319105068 (can be purchased or rented from Amazon)
- The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi; ISBN: 9780375714832
- Red Glass by Laura Resau; ISBN: 0440240255
- Conversations in American Literature: Language, Rhetoric, Culture; ISBN: 1457646765 (used copies available from Amazon for half the price)
- The Crucible by Arthur Miller; ISBN: 780142437339
- Beloved by Toni Morrison; ISBN: 1400033411
- The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger; ISBN: 7543321726
- The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath; ISBN: 0571081789
- The St. Martin’s Guide to Writing, 12th edition; ISBN: 1319104371 (can be purchased or rented from Amazon)
- Macbeth by William Shakespeare
- Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
- Atonement by Ian McEwan
Check back for updates for 2019 – 2020.
No required text.